March 08, 2005

Rubbish!

There is a severe lack of garbage cans, or so called "rubbish bins," in this country. I walked around in Parramatta for two hours before I finally found an appropriate place to dispose of my water bottle. Even in houses, rubbish bins seem neglected. Most houses I have been in so far only have one rubbish bin in the whole house, and that is in the kitchen. The house I'm staying in doesn't even really have one - just an empty bag stretched between drawer knobs. As it was driving me insane, I made my own darn rubbish bin in my room, consisting of a plastic bag and a hanger. Hey, at least I don't need to go to the kitchen...

I've basically gotten used to looking right first before crossing a street, but have discovered that crossing at a roundabout can be a bit of a challenge. As cars come from all directions with no lights or stop signs, you must be aware of all around you. Also, as they all travel through the same path regardless of which direction they ultimately want to go, it can be a bit of a guessing game deciding where they are planning on exiting the roundabout. My current crossing strategy consists of a dash towards the middle island, a quick 360 degree scan, then another dash in the direction I want to be heading. The only problem with the second dash is that I then need to look left before crossing, which I've been trying to iron out of my system...

Anyways, I don't have much in the way of new pictures, but here's what I do have, starting with a couple views of the Parramatta River, as seen from the patio of the Wagamama restaurant.


Parramatta River Posted by Hello


Parramatta River Posted by Hello

The Japanese think of everything. Yes, that is a wiper on a car's side mirror.


Mirror wiper Posted by Hello

A most unfortunate business name...


Sydney Pot Factory Posted by Hello

Here's one I thought Erin might like. I was just walking along through Parramatta when I heard a strange bird. I looked up to see a beautiful, rather large white bird with a lovely yellow crest, so I took a picture, right after which, he flew away. Nevertheless, it was cool to see just in the wild. Pardon the image quality, it was on full zoom...


Sulphur Crested Cockatoo Posted by Hello

Finally, just to point a finger and laugh at those reading this from Canada, here's the current weather. Yes, that is a flag, and no, it's not moving.


Nice weather Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home